Pages

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Acceptance

About 6 months ago, Eoin said he wanted to play soccer. We signed him up for soccer, bought him cleats, a soccer ball and shin guards.
He was so excited until he actually started playing. Out of about 30 kids Eoin was the only one who didn't want to play. He wanted to climb the fence, look at the burrowing owl, sit there, whatever came to mind. So I thought ok, do I force him to play to teach him that he shouldn't quit something? Do I let him quit because forcing him to play would be damaging to him at such a fragile age of 4? Well, I let him quit.
Next he said "all I want to do is play baseball".
Ok, so we sign him up for baseball, buy him a glove, bat, ball, tee, and new baseball cleats. Baseball lasted longer than soccer at least, after about the 5th practice he decided baseball is boring and refuses to go back. I asked myself the same questions about "proper parenting". The same thing happened with baseball as did soccer, we let him quit because I felt that forcing him would be the wrong thing to do. For several months now I have been stressing out; worried that Eoin has something wrong with him because he is the only kid out of a total of about 50 who was playing in the dirt and not playing the game.
I don't know why I was so stressed over this. My whole life, I always said I will raise my children to do what makes them happy. Not to do what the whole crowd is doing, think outside of the box, be independent, march to the beat of their own drum. Why is it that my child is doing exactly what I dreamed my child would do but I am worried?

I have fully accepted the fact that Eoin is a unique individual and I am so excited to see what becomes of him. From now on I will follow his lead and see what makes him truly happy. Eoin will find things that he is good at and things that he enjoys doing. It is so ridiculous that I even think about "what is the proper parenting move". The proper parenting move in my heart is to support my children in whatever they choose to do.
Right now Eoin is choosing skateboarding, he loves it and I must say he is getting very good.



Daddy and Emmi support Eoin too.

Emmi is learning from her brother :)

I want to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment